Monday 14 March 2016

Living with eczema

All of my life, I have suffered with eczema. That beastly sore skin condition that meant I would wake up with sores that were stuck to my bed sheets, would have to be dosed up on Piriton to stop me scratching, and couldn't have my face painted at parties.


As I have grown older, it has calmed down greatly, although I am left with large patchy scars on my face and arms from the most stubborn areas. These look simply delightful when I get a tan, which is basically as soon as the sun appears.

And the problem persists.

I have discovered over the years that flare ups can be brought on by many toiletries, Christmas trees, beards (crazy, huh?), cheap wine (damn), cheap chocolate (damn again), stress and also lactose.

Lactose is the biggest issue for me, because I absolutely ADORE cheese. And love milk.

Recently I have been struggling so badly, and I decided to make the leap and go dairy-free for a while. I'm four days in and already the redness is gone from the latest flare up, and the itching is subsiding considerably.

I've never yet found a cream or set of products that I can use without any reactions. I have to moisturise daily as my skin is so dry, but unless I layer myself in ghastly smelling prescription creams, I always have some sort of reaction - no matter how mild.

I'll keep  you updated on my dairy-free diet and my search for that dream product, and would love to hear about anything that you have found works!

L xx

No comments:

Post a Comment