Sunday 4 December 2016

Rocking the Solo Parenting


I'd forgotten how hard it is to be a single parent.

Just the little things, like juggling making dinner and doing the washing whilst keeping an eye on your children, who suddenly become suspiciously quiet...

The nights you run out of milk and need some for the morning, but the children are already in bed.

The days you feel as sick as a dog and just want to hide under the duvet, but your children are waiting for breakfast.

I'm suddenly fulfilling two roles in the house and it's exhausting, but so worth it. Their sweet smiles as they snuggle up to me for a morning cuddle before we have to get up, the cheeky looks they give me when they're being mischievous, the adorable "I love you mummy"s.

People are so quick to judge a single parent, because they've somehow failed at maintaining the traditional family unit. They must have loose morals, the children must be lacking in something, the single parent must be a terrible role model.

Yes sometimes there are dirty dishes in the sink and my washing basket threatens to take over the landing, sometimes I haven't hoovered and there's toothpaste welded to the bathroom sink. But my girls are always fed a wholesome meal, their clothes are clean and they're bathed every night before we enjoy a bedtime story together.

I couldn't make my marriage work, but I'm damn sure I'll be the best parent I possibly can be.

There are days when it all feels a little hopeless, when I feel like I'm letting them down. Days when I just can't wait to get them to bed because they've been playing up and I'm exhausted from work, and all I want to do is enjoy a soak in the bath with a glass of wine. There are days when I feel like all I do is shout and tell them off, constantly saying no and then feeling my heart break at their sad faces.

But this is all so normal. These are the occasional days. A rare occurrence.

We're rocking this single parent malarkey. This gig is mine and I'm pulling out all the stops to make sure it's the best I can make it. We might only be having token presents for Christmas, and we might not be going on holiday, but we have love. So much love.

If I've learned anything on this journey so far, it's that the biggest obstacle that stands in your way, is you. So build yourself up, give yourself that pat on the back, and make sure you tell yourself that yes you are doing a damn good job. Because let's face it - you are.

L xx




No comments:

Post a Comment