Tuesday 13 December 2016

New Year, New...


When 2016 came around, I made a series of non-resolutions. Promises to myself that I thought would make me feel better, look better, be happier.

Looking back, I'm actually laughing at myself. Loudly. Full on ROFL.

Little did I know back then, that life would change dramatically over the coming months. That I'd be alone for Christmas, be rebuilding my life, be single.

I wanted to get fit, lose two stone, gain a new qualification, be bold, visit a new country.

Ok so I definitely did NOT get fit. If I'm honest, I kinda got fat. I'm a terrible comfort eater, and I just love cooking and eating food. I'm now the biggest I've ever been, and you know what, I feel so much better for it. I can't run up the stairs, let alone a half marathon, but I CAN drink a bottle of wine all by myself and still stand.

I did earn some new qualifications:

  • Diploma in International Event Management
  • Diploma in Retail Cheese (with distinction I might add)
  • Certificate in Digital Marketing Strategy

...and I'm currently studying an HR qualification.

I'm all set to start my CIM Diploma in Marketing in January too.

I wanted to be bold... I guess leaving your husband and choosing happiness over convention is pretty bold. Choosing to be a Warrior Parent and sharing your story, trials and tribulations with the world is pretty bold.

I wanted to visit a new country... that didn't happen. Still waiting on that adventure.

So 2016 was a rollercoaster, some highs and many lows, but it's ending on a high note. I'm stronger now than I maybe ever have been, because I have realised that I can do this by myself. I can be mum, cook, cleaner, worker and me all at the same time. The sleepless nights are hard, the black dog is a bitch, but I'm here and I'm fighting.

2017 is a blank page, a chance for a new chapter of a new story. January 1st will be the beginning of something new and exciting, although I've no idea what that might be. Plenty of twists and turns along the way, new adventures... I'm game for it all.

Happiness isn't about ticking boxes or having certain things or trying to meet everyone else's expectations. It's being you, celebrating you, and to an extent - being bloody selfish. So don't start 2017 with rules and convention, just promise yourself that you'll make it your year, and let's see where we all end up.

L xx

No comments:

Post a Comment