Monday 4 January 2016

Proper Homemade Leek & Potato Soup

Between Christmas and New Year I was feeling really sorry for myself. As well as my children insisting on waking up at 5.45am every day, despite the fact that we all had two weeks off (yay..!), numerous delicate mornings following too much fun with friends the night before, and the usual Christmas mania, I had a nasty case of sinusitis.

So I was looking for something really comforting and delicious, to warm me up, that wouldn't require me to move my painful face too much. I'd usually opt for the cliched chicken soup, but after eating my own body weight in turkey just days before the idea of that made me feel rather green around the gills.

A glut of potatoes in my vegetable basket inspired me to make an old favourite - leek and potato soup. If you've never made it before, you really must. It's quick, simple & delicious. Plus it freezes well - I store leftovers in individual portions in the freezer to take for lunch at work.

Try it and let me know what you think!

L xx

Ingredients
1 white onion, diced
3 leeks, topped, tailed, sliced into pennies & washed
2 large potatoes, peeled & diced
2 pints chicken stock (I use a cheaty stock pot)
150ml double cream


Method
  1. In a knob of butter, gently fry the onion, leek & potato until slightly softened.
  2. Season well with salt and pepper.
  3. Add the stock, bring to the boil & simmer for around 15 mins, until the potato is cooked through.
  4. Blend using a handheld blender until smooth.
  5. Add the cream and gently warm through to serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment