Saturday 27 February 2016

A healthy kebab fix

I've somehow (ok, I know how *snaffles cake*) managed to pile on three stone in the last two years. I thought I was fine with it, but just recently I have been feeling rather like a baby rhino trying to get into a slim woman's clothes - it's just not working. I feel heavy and a bit gross, so have decided to start eating healthily (with the odd treat thrown in of course) and be more active, to lose a little of this weight. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel like I have to, I'm doing it for me - because I want to.


One of my really unclassy and disgusting weaknesses, is kebabs. I adore a chicken tikka kebab loaded with chilli and garlic sauce, with a portion of chips topped with more sauce. It's a guilty pleasure of mine!

Clearly, kebabs and healthy eating don't exactly gel well together. So I got creative! Here's my yummy recipe for a healthy kebab. Makes two portions.



Kebab meat
Instead of doner meat, mix 250g extra lean beef mince with ground cumin, chilli & coriander. Form into four patties & grill for five minutes each side.

If chicken is your thing, slice a breast in half lengthways and dust with cayenne pepper. Grill for five minutes each side (until meat is not pink).

Garlic sauce
Combine two tbsp non-fat fromage frais or greek yogurt with one crushed clove of garlic and a dash of lemon juice.

Chilli sauce

  1. Strain half a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes. Add half a diced onion, a third of a chopped chilli, 1 tsp tomato puree, 25ml distilled vinegar & 1 tsp mint sauce.
  2. Blend with a handheld blender until smooth.


Assembly

  1. Lightly toast 2 wholemeal pitta breads & slice down one long side to create a pocket.
  2. Place two patties/one half chicken breast into each, add some shredded iceberg lettuce, and a dollop of chilli & garlic sauce.
  3. Enjoy your homemade kebab and feel like a champion (it's only about 600 calories!).
I also added a handful of oven chips to add to the authenticity.

Have a go and let me know what you think!

L xx



No comments:

Post a Comment