Wednesday 23 December 2015

Tickton Grange - a getaway to remember

I recently had the good fortune to visit a rather lovely hotel, just outside Beverley, Hull.

As the very patient wife of a man who likes to play numerous sports as well as working a busy job, I jumped at the chance of a night away to ourselves, which was to include a delicious dinner. And a spot of shopping in Hull - a place I had never visited before.


I have to say, I wasn't overly inspired by Hull, but I think that this was mostly the fact that it was bitterly cold and horrifically busy as frantic Christmas shoppers thrust their way through the huge crowds armed with carrier bags and oversized handbags that left considerable bruises on my arms and legs!

But then, we arrived at Tickton Grange.

From the moment we walked through the door, we were made to feel welcome. Like old friends arriving home. It was that wonderful balance between familiarity and professional - the receptionist was polite and helpful, and showed us to our room which was tucked away in a delightful converted cottage behind the main hotel.

The room was perfect - a large open space with beautiful furnishings (as well as homemade shortbread and proper china teacups and saucers), and a stylish modern bathroom with one of those things one rarely finds in a hotel - a shower worthy of Niagra! There was also some beautiful Noble Isle toiletries in the bathroom, and pretty branded ribbons around the towels and face cloths - overall it was all I had hoped for and so much more.

But now - dinner.

I had heard that the food was fab at Tickton, but nothing prepared me for what I was about to experience!

A wonderfully calm atmosphere, some relaxing music in the background, and staff that were just lovely. Impeccably dressed, polite, helpful and so friendly. Nothing was too much trouble and they were incredibly knowledgeable about all of the dishes.

The food was sublime. A delicious spiced pumpkin soup appetiser, and then I enjoyed a superb terrine, slow cooked shin of beef with a fantastic potato dauphinoise & perfectly cooked vegetables, and then a tasting platter of heavenly desserts. All topped off with a cafetiere of coffee, and one of the best nights' sleep I have ever had!

The next morning, feeling incredibly rested, we enjoyed a fantastic breakfast of cereals, fresh pastries, yogurt, fruit, and a locally sourced cooked breakfast.

I was sad to leave Tickton Grange, although left comforted by Mr W's promise to take me back very soon!

Tickton Grange website.










No comments:

Post a Comment