Tuesday 2 June 2015

Dauphinoise for Dummies

Dauphinoise potatoes. The hero of the potato world. The luxurious, creamy blanket of garlic-infused heaven that gently envelops you and warms you from the tips of your toes to the top of your head. The side dish that I will ALWAYS order, even if it doesn't match my meal.


So, yeah, I love Dauphinoise potatoes. I've always seen it as a highly complex, faffy dish to put together, hours of tweaking and poking and waiting and simmering... and then one rainy Sunday, I decided to have a little play in the kitchen.

The results were just out of this world. In around 40 minutes I was licking my lips as the first million degree forkful of culinary wonder made its way to my mouth.

I can't possibly keep this to myself, it would be some seriously bad food karma. So here you go! Just don't sue me for the mouth blisters you'll inevitably suffer because you're too excited to taste it, to wait for it to cool down!

L xx

Ingredients
Approx 500g white potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced (I use the slicer on my cheese grater)
2 tsp lazy garlic
200ml double cream
100ml milk
100g gruyere cheese, grated

Method

  1. Add the sliced potatoes, garlic, cream and milk to a large pan and bring to the boil.
  2. Gently simmer for around ten minutes, until the potatoes are a little tender.
  3. Butter a pyrex dish.
  4. Mix half of the cheese into the pan & stir until melted.
  5. Decant the contents of the pan into the dish, scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
  6. Bake for 25 minutes at 180c, until the cheese is melted and golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment